Maggy

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

daring and articulate

I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

I'm participating in a focus group about hair on Monday - someone is actually paying me to sit around and talk about hair. Sitting around judging products and people for money? YES PLEASE! The screening process was a kick, too - I had to answer all sorts of questions on what kind of hair I have, what kind of products I use, what kind of person I am (daring? outspoken? adventurous? talkative? opinionated? articulate?) and then name who in history I'd like to be and why (testing my ability to articulate, I suppose).

I'm resisting any and all impulses I may have to try and screw with the researchers, thus throwing off their results. Why is it that every time I find out about a new rule, law, or way of doing things my first impulse is to see if I can fuck with it?

Case in point - the Best Buy incident. Several months ago, I was innocently purchasing an iPod accessory at the Best Buy across the street from my office. The ::ahem:: guard was positioned at the door, and asked to peek in my bag on the way in (he didn't say peek, though) and I was like, meh, what's the harm? However, after my purchase, he asked to see my receipt and confirm that it matched up to my new electronic accessory before I was allowed to leave the store. He would then initial my receipt and I could go on my way. I strongly protested, on the grounds that it's offensive to treat all your customers as thieves, not to mention what's to stop me from just walking out? You and your ::cough:: guards? Words were exchanged, and to make a long story short I was asked never to return to the Best Buy on 44th and 5th. Whoops.

I stand by my views, however, and then started to plot ways to remove merchandise from the store without being detected by their high tech security measures (teenage guard with a flashlight and pen). I would then march triumphantly back into the store and point out how absurd their policy was, while suggesting friendly alternatives to reduce losses by theft. I imagined myself some sort of modern day muckraker, with an emphasis on the injustices visited upon the suits of the world trying to purchase iPod accessories on their lunch hours at the midtown shops. Yes, I realize it's not exactly the Jungle, but what can I say? I don't have that many problems.

However, cooler heads prevailed, and I never carried out my plot against Best Buy.

Until the incident of the check, the passport, and two DVDs that should never have left the store.

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com