Maggy

Friday, August 11, 2006

Being Saved

I was "saved" by my cabdriver this morning. I have, apparently, accepted the lord Jesus Christ as my savior.

It all started when he asked me what fascist meant (having seen it in the paper, thank you, Mr. President), and I tried to explain what it meant, and the context in which the president used it, having NO idea what religious/political affiliations the cabbie may have had. I came up with something like, "It's a philosophical school of thought that puts state above the individual, and can have negative connotations due to its association with the Nazi party during WWII, and in this context, Bush is applying it towards the sort of government that uses religous ideology to govern, often to the detriment of its people."

So then he said, "Well, how do you fight against a philosophy?" And I said, "I don't know, that seems to be how we got in this tangle, and why it's so hard to get out of it."

Then he said, well, Praise the Lord we stopped what just could have happened, so I figured I wasn't going to get vilified for being pleased the terrorist attack was stopped, and said, "Yeah, Jesus Christ- can you imagine?"

Which led to a discussion of how my invoking the name of the lord meant I could be saved. It was an odd start to the day.

Also, I realize my definition left something to be desired, but it was early, and I was trying not to poke myself in the eye with my mascara.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com